As you probably already know, there are some incredible, natural products out now with clean, chemical-free ingredients that you can actually pronounce. Some of my favorites are Fat Face Skin Care, Tastyface Organics and Primally Pure. But my most favorite products are those I can make myself because it saves money and makes me feel just a bit more like the dirty, crunchy hippie that has been living inside me since birth! The recipe below is something I have been making for myself and my friends for several years. They have tried to encourage me to sell it but ain’t nobody got time for that! Plus I like gifting people the freedom from toxic products in the form of an incredible lotion inside a small mason jar with a handmade label that is typically sarcastic and crude!
This recipe changes slightly each time I make it based on what ingredients I have available. Sometimes it has more jojoba oil, sometimes more coconut oil, sometimes neither. Sometimes it smells like lavender, sometimes it is lemongrass or a blend of whatever essential oils smell good to me in the moment. Other times there is a dash of vanilla for fun. But every time it is amazing. I get incredible compliments on this lotion when I share with friends and family, no matter the recipe I decide to follow. The benefits of each ingredient used is numerous and leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and rejuvenated.
- Tallow-sourced from grass-fed animals, tallow has a similar fatty acid profile to that of human cell membranes which makes it an easily absorbed ingredient that can soften and heal rough, aged skin.
- Coconut oil-due to the medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil it can repair dry skin and helps to maintain its hydration.
- Avocado Oil-besides the omega-3 benefits, avocado oil contains sterolin, antioxidants, lecithin and potassium which are all beneficial in reducing the signs of aging.
- Vitamin E Oil-a strong antioxidant that can prevent early aging by promoting new cell growth and regeneration
- Shea Butter-rich in Vitamins A, E and F, shea butter is nourishing and moisturizing for your skin. It also has a low SPF and can combat inflammation.
- Lavender Essential Oil-this soothing essential oil can reduce acne, restore complexion and reduce signs of aging
My friends and I jokingly call this stuff “Meat Lotion”. If you have dogs be forewarned that they will want to lick your legs like a lollipop. Also note that because this is a jar full of fats it will stain certain fabrics. I typically apply the lotion, wait for my skin to absorb it then get dressed. If you happen to get any on your clothing, Branch Basics concentrate lifts oils really well. If you want to know more about Young Living Essential Oils or are interested in purchasing some you can email me directly or contact me here.
- 1 cup tallow
- ½ cup beeswax pastilles
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 1 tsp Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 15-20 drops of Lavender essential oil (or your favorite scent)
- Pour all ingredients in your pint sized mason jar.
- Secure lid tightly.
- Place in a small pot with water about half way up the side of the jar.
- Turn stove on to medium high
- As contents in jar melts, use pot holder to grasp jar and shake.
- Return to water. Shake every few minutes until contents have melted.
- Remove from stove to cool
- Do not open jar and apply lotion until it has cooled completely.
- *Note this can be done on the stove with a double boiler but the above steps save you from washing dishes!
What do you do to make yourself feel like a dirty, crunchy hippie?
To a nourished life,